Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Flight to Sri Lanka and Arrival

     Gulf Air was our airline of choice, and a good choice it turned out to be.  The hosts and hostesses were very pleasant.  All drinks were free, even the alcohol; this is very unlike anything that I had seen in the States!   The seats were definitely not as crowded as United’s, which made for happy legs and feet.  One downfall was the weird television show that played on the short flight to Bahrain; it was a looped show of something similar to Candid Camera .  Nikki found it obnoxious, but I  laughed in a few places nk that people are funny.   After we changed planes for the flight to Sri Lanka, I plugged in my earbuds and listened to some rock and roll for awhile until my attention was diverted by the Indian movie that was playing.  The acting was so bad that I turned the channel and listened in (and read subtitles) to some strange, humorous love story between Siddharth and Meera, just to see what was going on.  And then I ended up watching the whole thing.    Okay, this will sound funny, but in my mind, it was a blending of Will Farrell’s bad humor with Shakespeare’s love of twists and turns!!   Perfect bad humor!! 

We had a plane change in Bahrain.  A HUGE surprise awaited us:  Christmas decorations and Christmas music!!  


I had another “Jane” moment in the Sri Lanka.  I got my passport out of my purse in order to fill out the visa paperwork.  I filled everything out and put my passport away.  Unfortunately, I did not put my purse back into my carryall.   Nikki and I were heading on down a long hallway when I suddenly remembered that I had forgotten my bag!!!   I ran back (can you say O.J.???) and went back past the security…..and guess what?   My purse was still sitting on the counter next to some men who were filling out their papers!!!   That would never happen back home, but here people are honest.   I was one happy traveler, I can tell you that!

We had made arrangements for the Silver Sands Hotel to pick us up and sure enough, there was a man with a sign near the exit waiting for us!  He loaded our stuff into his van and off we went!  It was interesting to have our first “view” of Sri Lanka to be at night when all we could see were the lights of the shops and things.  It was very inviting and interesting.  We only rode in a proper vehicle one more time during our whole trip (one with doors and windows).

We traveled and toured Sri Lanka in a number of tuc tucs, but our favorite by far was our new friend who told us his name was Naushad.  A tuc tuc is a small, 3-wheeled motorized vehicle (a cross between a motorcycle and a car).









No comments:

Post a Comment