Saturday, April 7, 2012

Istanbul, not Constantinople

Friday, March 30, 2012   Day 1

Shawki, my taxi driver friend from Lebanon, picked up Ashlie, Kelli, and me at 5:00 a.m. to take us to the airport.  As we were visiting on the way out there, he kept telling me about “Turkish” instead of Turkey.  Maybe that’s the way that Lebanese translates into English?  LOL

The flight was only a few hours and Turkish Airlines took good care of us.  The lunch was lavish and even had real, metal utensils, not the plastic that U.S. airlines give you in economy.  I guess that Turkish Airlines isn’t worried about plane hijackings…..

I sat next to a nice little Kuwaiti girl.   I guessed her age at 17 or 18, but she said that she is at university.  We visited for awhile before I read my Kindle (forced to read because my movie player didn’t work).  She was very nice and was also traveling to Istanbul (with her family) for the first time.

After we arrived at the airport, the three of us got our visas, went through passport check, and on to baggage.  I couldn’t believe my luck…I walked up to the carousel and there was my bag!   That has never happened to me ever before!  When we were walking out of the airport to look for a cab, there was a guy with a sign, “Ashlie Moody!”   Ashlie didn’t order pick up service, but we were very happy.   For a few Turkish lira, he also dropped me at my hotel.


 Our room is very small, but clean and nice.  The concierge, Rebi, is delightful and very helpful.  I had heard that finding English-speaking people is more difficult in Turkey, so I am happy that he speaks very well.  Not only that, but he’s cute!  I could with for some room in our room to turn around in, but I guess that this will work. 


 I had a few hours to kill before I had to go back to the airport to pick up Grace, so I decided to take a walk.  I only went a few steps when a street “hustler” invited me into a restaurant.   Since I did need lunch, I said yes.  Now, I call him a “hustler” because I don’t know a better word for it.  He stands out at the main intersection at our corner and tries to talk people into choosing this restaurant over all the other restaurants in the neighborhood.  I didn’t know this when I was approached; I thought he was just a nice guy trying to suggest a good eating place!  It turns out that his name is Ozzy, and he became our "friend." 
Anyhow, my lunch was delicious.  I tried a variety of cold beginners and discovered that my beloved warak enab (stuffed grape leaves) is made differently here.  All in all, it was a great way to taste Turkish cuisine.  The highlight of the lunch was a delightful stewy thing cooked in a ceramic pot shaped like a vase. 

As soon as I was finished and walked back to my hotel, Ashlie and Kelli were there and we proceeded to pick up Grace at the airport.   First, we had to get on the tram and figure out which stop to exit at; what an experience.  Because it was lightly raining and because commuters were getting off work, the tram was cram packed.  I am not just saying that….literally, it was like being a sardine.  I was worried because I was short and everyone had their arm raised to hold onto the handles, and I was afraid that I would be smelling dirty armpits.  But thankfully, I avoided that problem. 


 Then we had to get on the subway and ride to the end of the line.  The tram was a little less packed and more comfortable.  We made it through the metal detectors into the airport, which was packed!  And even though we were late, Grace was nowhere to be found.  I walked around and around, looking all over the place.  Ashlie and Kelli were having no luck, either.  I was about ready to cry, wondering where in the world she could be, when the girls told me to be patient and wait…what if something happened and the flight was late?  Anything could happen, so we needed to be patient.   They waited on one side of the entrance and I waited on the other, hoping and praying that the next person through would be Grace.  I got distracted and she came through the door and the girls found her!   When I saw them, I almost cried from happiness!  My Gracie is a beautiful young woman!!  My vacation could have ended right then and I would have been happy….I can’t believe how much I have missed her.

No comments:

Post a Comment