Friday, October 7, 2011

My School Day – Part One

Because the Muslim religious day is Friday, our school week is from Sunday to Thursday.  This is interesting for me as I am so used to the second day of the week being Tuesday, but really it’s only Monday.  The worst part of it is that Thursday night, I’m thinking that I’m starting a three-day weekend!  Ah, the strange ways in which our brains work!
My day usually begins at 5:00 am, when the alarm wakes me up.  I have to confess that sometimes it’s a good thing that I don’t sleep well because several days I have forgotten to set an alarm.  Again, this is related to habits…I am used to having a clock radio beside my bed; here, I have to use my phone’s alarm.  So at 5:00 am I am having to listen to my obnoxious phone’s message:  “It’s five o’clock.  Time to get up.  It’s five o’clock.  Time to get up.”  She’s rather annoying and I try to turn her off before she repeats more than twice. 
I leave my apartment at about 6:30 because we are required to be at work before 7:00.  There are thumb machines in the lobby where we check in…better not be late because the machine never lies.  I’m not sure if the thumb machine is a time clock or if it has to do with security; no one has ever explained it to me.  After this, I go up to my floor and sign in with the secretary there.  Again, I’m not sure what purpose this serves, but I do it anyway.
I have time to get ready for the day because the first class does not start until 7:45.  I teach three classes per day:  first block, second block, and fourth block.  This school is on an accelerated block schedule so we teach ½ the students first semester and the rest during the second semester.   I have never worked with this schedule before, so I am not sure exactly how I am going to fit everything in.   I guess I will learn as I go.  Each teacher is assigned a “duty” each day; I probably have the best duty of all:  on the playground during the lunch period.  The last 10 minutes of lunch, I troop down the stairs to the courtyard in order to monitor the door that leads to the elevators.  Only students with an elevator pass can come in that door.  Okay, not much action there EXCEPT I have the pleasure of watching the boys play soccer.   You have never seen such soccer as they play here!  They all look like they were born with a soccer ball attached to their feet!  It is such a joy to watch them!  (Can you tell I am a soccer fan?)  There are tournaments that go on all year; when one is over another one begins.
I really like the location of my room; I am close to my new friend Wadad.  She is from Lebanon and recently went out on maternity leave.  I will get to have the baby girl as a replacement for the ones I am missing back home.  Sheila is right across the hall from me; she teaches 11th grade English and is very helpful.  Bob is next door; I love to walk by his room and listen to his Marine voice keeping those kids in line.  Actually, I have to say that everyone in this school has been friendly and helpful, making this “newbie” happy and comfortable.  In addition, I have a block of senior lockers right outside my room, so I am meeting a new group of kids.   The seniors are a rambunctious, loud group of kids, but they are very friendly and nice; I like them!


No comments:

Post a Comment