Saturday, March 30, 2013

Egypt Serendipity

The strangest thing happened this morning.  Judy and I went to breakfast with one of Judy's friends, Marie.  At breakfast we talked up a storm about anything and everything.  Then I said something about Wyoming which made Marie perk up and ask, "What town are you from?"  

I answered, "Casper."

"I love Casper!!" she gushed.

Ugh.  Um....."How do you know Casper?"

"I'm from the Black Hills!" she said so happily.

"Well, I'm from the Black Hills, too.  I was born in Belle Fourche."

"My first teaching job was in Belle!"

And so it went.  She was raised in Rapid City, which is only a hop, skip,and a jump away from all the places that I love in the Black Hills.

Who would ever think that this type of coincidence would happen:   I travel a gazillion miles away from home only to run into someone from 'back home.'  

It happened when I first arrived in Kuwait and overheard a woman say that she was from South Dakota.  I went over to speak with her and then discovered that we had a lot in common.  The most serendipitous was that my new friend Karen once taught school in Philip, SD, where my dear friend, Beth, was raised.  As if that's not coincidental enough, it turns out that that Karen once taught Beth's sister!   Serendipity!!  

Now, when I hear that old saying, "It's a small world," I truly believe that it is!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment