Friday, October 3, 2014

Eid Al Adha

     Tomorrow is the first day of the three-day celebration of Eid Al Adha.  What does this mean to me?  Not really that much, especially spiritual-wise, but I do get a week of vacation time that just happens to correspond with Eid Al Adha.  A welcomed break from school, you can imagine.  I don't really know that much about it, so I won't try to share anything but the things that I actually do know.

     First, this Eid is related to the hajj.  I have seen photos of this majestic ceremony.

    Secondly, this is a time of giving.  Yesterday at school, the Arabic staff gave us a delicious lunch of fatayer, arayes, machboos, a sweet, and a drink.  I love being social over a nice meal.  Isn't that what life is all about?  When I thanked several teachers, they told me that this is their way of sharing their Eid with us as Eid is a time of giving.

     Thirdly, I know that the first day of Eid is fatteh (sp?), a fatted sheep is killed, rather like an offering.  One third of the meat is given away to others and the rest is cooked up for the fatteh feast.  I have been invited to the fatteh feast tomorrow at my friend Inas's house, which I am anticipating very much!

     This morning a pickup pulled up to the apartment building next door and unloaded 4 sheep.  The video I took is too big to upload to this blog, so here is a photo:






No comments:

Post a Comment